THE BEAUTY & HEALING MINERAL
What is MSM?
MSM (Methyl Sulphonyl Methane or Dimethyl Sulfone) is a natural form of organic sulphur compound that is found in all living organisms. It is the purest and most bio-available form of sulphur, one of the essential minerals crucial to life and the regeneration of cells. MSM has traditionally been taken as a food supplement to increase joint health for peak flexibility and mobility, as well as for strong hair and nails, beautiful skin, and numerous other health conditions from leaky gut syndrome and ME to damaged joints, arthritis, osteoporosis and psoriasis. OSKIA is the first premium skincare range to harness MSM’s highly beneficial properties.
MSM can benefit all skin types and ages. It is known to have been highly effective in the treatment of conditions including acne, eczema and psoriasis, as well as sensitive, and problematic skin, and helps keep skin healthy and strong to guard against premature ageing and skin damage.
Sulphur is the fourth most plentiful mineral in the human body and is known both as the ‘beauty mineral’ and the ‘healing mineral’ for its ability to support collagen production, promote circulation and decrease inflammation. Although not widely known, sulphur preparations have been used since the time of Hippocrates - the father of modern medicine - to beautify the skin and treat a variety of skin conditions.
Sulphur is structurally and functionally important to 150 bodily compounds and performs a number of important functions within the body. It is integral to the production of collagen and elastin. Approximately half of the body's sulphur content is found in the skin, muscles, cartilage and bones.
Collagen is the principal structural protein holding the skin together, with the fibrils of types I and III forming the mesh which is largely responsible for the skin’s mechanical properties. Since the production of collagen types I and III in the skin tends to decline from about the age of 35 onwards, MSM can help improve skin condition by:
- Protecting collagen against collagen degrading enzymes.
- Clinically proven to reduce fine lines & wrinkles by boosting collagen and elastin production.
- Boosts the natural production of Glutathione, the body's key cellular anti-oxidant, to boost the immune system and reduce pigmentation and cellular damage.
- Acting as an anti-inflammatory agent by reducing the production of cytokines (pro-inflammation).
- Providing the body with the raw materials needed to create new cells, and to repair damaged ones.
- Maintaining skin cell membrane flexibility and permeability, promoting an efficient exchange of nutrients and waste products, to help keep skin clear.
- MSM also helps in maintaining the body's crucial pH balance.
- MSM is needed to detoxify the body. Amino acid chains are usually linked with each other through flexible sulphur bridges.
It is found in the fluid and tissue of all living organisms. It is present is a variety of foods including raw vegetables, eggs, milk and fish, but is lost through cooking and food processing. One of the richest natural supplies is pine trees and cabbage.
MSM originates in the oceans where microscopic plankton release sulphur compounds into seawater, which is quickly converted to DMS, a volatile sulphur compound that escapes into the atmosphere. In this suspended, gaseous state, the DMS reacts with ozone and ultraviolet sunlight to create MSM. MSM then falls to the earth with the rain, where it is collected and concentrated in plants. Although MSM is abundant in nature, even the richest natural sources only provide MSM in the level of several parts per million. Commercial extraction of MSM from trees is not possible so a process is undertaken which parallels the natural oxidation that occurs in the marine atmosphere and produces MSM that is chemically identical to that found in nature.
OSKIA uses OptiMSM™, the purest form of MSM. It is distilled four times for optimum purity and is the only MSM supported by double-blind clinical research.