25 January 2016 17:48
It’s nearing the end of January and by now many of us may be becoming a little bit tired with the word ‘detox.’ Although the desire to become the best possible version of ourselves is never stronger than at the beginning of a new year, it’s easier said than done! Here we’re sharing a couple of easy tips on how we can all improve our diets and skin care regimes throught the year, along with some of our favourite health retreats. But first, let’s bust some of those detox myths…
1) The word ‘detox’ is somewhat misused - ‘cleansing’ is in fact a more appropriate description especially when referring to diet. Our kidneys, liver, lungs and skin are all responsible for constantly detoxing, and do an exceptional job at naturally removing impurities. This means that there is in fact little requirement to ‘detox,’ and what we can do instead is aid this natural process by giving our bodies a break through limiting alcohol or irritants such as gluten, sugar and the nightshade family (potatoes, tomatoes, chillies, red peppers) and suppleminting it with healthier alternatives such as a nutrient-rich soup diet.
2) January is not actually the best time to ‘detox’ or cleanse through diet. The weather is cold and our bodies naturally crave carbohydrate-rich foods to fuel internal body heat. Most people may also have a tendency to feel low at this time of year as a result of a number of reasons such as lack of natural sunlight, or the end of the holiday season, for example. If you want to give yourself a fighting chance, Spring is the ideal time of year to turn over a new leaf.
As we are constantly exposed to chemicals, toxins and preservatives through our environment, the foods we eat and products we use, it is always important to try and give our bodies a break to help avoid negative consequences on our health such as skin disorders, breakouts, exhaustion, and weight gain. Here are some of the key things we can do to help our bodies cleanse and be healthier for it.
1) Add superfoods to your diet such as salmon, avocado, almonds, blueberries and spinach. Fermented foods are also brilliant for optimising the immune system and aiding our natural detoxification process. These foods have been around for centuries and are particularly well known for their outstanding nutritional benefits. Kimchi, Sauerkraut, Miso, Kambucha and Kefir are a particularly rich source of vital nutrients such as Vitamins B, K2 and probiotics. The beneficial bacteria in these foods are highly potent detoxifiers, capable of drawing out a wide range of toxins. Foods rich in fibre and organic fruits and vegetables such as beetroot, cabbage, broccoli, spirulina and seaweed also all work to get skin glowing and boost overall skin health.
2) Introduce targeted supplements into your diet such as MSM, chlorella, sulforaphane or Vitamin C. MSM is associated with a host of detoxing benefits, from improving our ability to produce anti-oxidants, to helping our skin cells to flush out toxins, all whilst boosting overall energy levels and reducing stress. Our Pure MSM Supplements are specifically formulated to boost collagen & keratin production whilst nutritionally supporting the condition of skin, hair and nails. They are also a fabulous anti-inflammatory and help detox the skin cells to promote healthy, happy skin.
3) Replace caffeinated drinks with green tea, and make sure you drink at least 2 litres of water per day. The skin is our largest organ, and without sufficient amounts of water it can quickly become dehydrated, tight and prone to fine lines and wrinkles.
4) Certain diets can have a counteractive effect. Limiting our nutrient or calorie intake can actually prevent our key organs from functioning properly. We require diets rich in the following: B-Vitamins, Flavonoids, Vitamins A, C & E, Glutathione (found in avocado, watermelon, and fresh fruits and vegetables), Omegas and Phospholipids (from eggs, meat, fish, soybeans), to name a few.
5) Cut back on cigarettes and alcohol, which can both only do harm to both body and skin. Though we’re sure there is no need to even mention this, there’s no time like the present to kick unhealthy habits!
Stay tuned for more tips on purifying your skincare routine, along with a roundup of some of our favourite health retreats!