Roast Pumpkin Soup
Winter Warmer Roast Pumpkin Soup
4 medium cloves garlic, unpeeled
1kg peeled, deseeded pumpkin
1 tablespoon (20ml) oil
1 large (about 160g) onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 litre (4 cups) vegetable or chicken stock
Cream, for serving
Ground nutmeg, for serving
1. Chop pumpkin into small cubes and place with unpeeled garlic cloves in a baking tray, drizzle with three teaspoons of oil and toss to coat.
2. Bake for 20 minutes at 190 degrees Celsius, then remove the garlic so that it doesn't overcook. Continue baking pumpkin until tender and cooked through, keeping an eye on the pumpkin to ensure it doesn't burn.
3. Heat x1 teaspoon of oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, nutmeg, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for one minute.
4. Add pumpkin and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until onion is soft and stock has reduced, about 20 minutes. The more the stock reduces, the thicker the soup will be.
5. Peel roasted garlic and add to saucepan. We allow the soup to cool for about half an hour before pureeing in a blender. Top with a drizzle of cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg, if desired.